We were asked by Kingston University to create a modified container as a café for selling hot drinks and snacks from within a campus courtyard. The university wanted to provide a one-stop rest point for student to relax and recharge (for both them and their phones!) It was also important that the container have an eye-catching design both inside and out; as we’re sure you’ll agree the finished container has a bright, modern and clean look, providing a great centre piece for the university courtyard.
Now situated within a quadrant surrounded by tall campus buildings, the container had to be carefully lifted in with a large mobile crane, for final installation within an outdoor purpose built decking area.
Our gallery shows photos of the container shortly after being finished at our workshop. We’ve also got an impressive video capture of the delivery via the mobile crane, courtesy of Kingston University campus.
Mr. Box supplied a new 20ft storage container to form the basis of the conversion, and we then modified the container as follows:
- Create a large opening in the side of the container to act as the entrance. The container was strengthened to allow this to be achieved.
- Create a serving hatch with integrated roller-shutter surrounded by box frame hatch in coloured finish. Complete w magnetic weatherproof cover.
- The interior was insulated throughout using 150mm of Rockwool and then lined using food grade UVPC for the kitchen and high-grade plywood to seating area.
- Supply and fit a patio style sliding glazed door – powder coated aluminium to match the container.
- The original container floor was overlaid with teak decking in the seating area, and anti-slip vinyl for the kitchen.
- Kitchen units supplied in in oak effect matt laminate worktop and stainless steel sink, drainer, work surfaces and shelf.
- Integrated waste bins with counter for sugar, napkins etc.
- Fixed, un-upholstered timber seating; to match integrated bins/counter with clear matt lacquer finish.
- External 3-phase socket and isolator for incoming supply.
- Consumer board.
- 5 x double 240v sockets and additional switches/spurs in kitchen area. Flush mounted in stainless steel.
- 1 x 5ft vapour-proof strip light for kitchen area, fitted using Galvanised trunking.
- 4 x Batten holder rose light fixtures for seating area, fitted using Galvanised trunking.
- Industrial black fan heater, fixed to ceiling.
- 4no. powered USB sockets provided above seating. Flush mounted in white plastic.
- Electronically operated awning in coloured fabric and case. Auto-retract function under extreme wind-loading
- Container was sprayed painted to match RAL 5024.
- “Cookie Cutter” style aluminium Coffee Box sign with LED backlighting, fitted to the roof.
- Various vinyl graphics applied to container and sliding doors.
- A selection of bespoke seating benches/seating made of marine plywood slats and a steel frame.